Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bubble Thought #1: What I Learned When I Was A Student

It's June again and it's time for students to go back to school. The place where you'll learn and slowly transform into someone you wouldn't believe you could be. I miss being a student. Believe it or not, I miss the feeling of waking up in the morning, dragging myself out of bed, preparing myself for school and anticipating the things my teachers/professors prepared for class. Spending an entire day at school and when I get home, driving myself crazy with all the homeworks, projects and exams our teachers gave us. I miss wearing our school uniform, buying school supplies and looking forward to everyone's favorite part of the day - recess and lunch break. I miss memorizing an entire chapter of the book for tomorrow's surprise quiz or recitation (while praying that my name wouldn't be called). I miss cheering for our batch's representatives in any school activities and showing support by being one of the props men/women. I miss that time of the month that my school celebrates something like Linggo ng Wika, Foundation Day, etc and we won't have any class thus we have fun extracurricular activities. I miss my teachers and professors who not only taught me algebra, human anatomy and parts of the sentence but also who inspired me and encouraged me to get out of my shell. But the thing I miss the most was my highschool classmates/batchmates and college blockmates who became my friends and someone I wouldn't mind spending my leisure time with. They were the people who made my life as a student memorable. They were the spice of my so-called-boring-life as a student. 

When I was in highschool, I've always been the wallflower. I never stood out in the crowd, never been hand-picked for any school activities and always been the average student (though there were instances where I excelled in our class in one or two subjects. Yay!). My years in highschool were a semi-blur to me now (and how I hate that I don't have my own camera back then and that our school wouldn't allow us to bring even if I have my own. FML) though I really love those days and wouldn't mind to time travel to those parts. Those days were my awkward and ugly duckling days but thank God 'cause during that time I found the best of friends that'll stick to me until this very moment. After our graduation, I've never lose contact with my constant friends. Aaaaaand thanks to Friendster and Facebook because I can still get updates from them. We see each other once in a while now and hang out. I saw how we transformed from being amatuer-ish to being professionals and to some who have their own families and from 6pm curfew to exploring the city at night time. It's nice to know that these people I grew up with are still there and willing to spend another years of life discoveries with me. When I'm with them I feel comfortable; I don't have to pretend to be anyone else and it's fun to STILL talk about nonsense things and remember the days we spend in our little brown school and laugh about how shallow we were back then. 

Some of my highschool friends have their own families now, with one or two babies. Whenever I look at our old photos, I never taught we travelled this far from being naughty students to taking life seriously raising their own child and chasing their own dreams. It is a nostalgic feeling. I feel happy and sad at the same time. I am happy and proud because I know they'll be good parents to their little ones and that dreams do come true but sad on how time travels fast. It was like yesterday we were wearing our school uniforms and now they're dress like a parent and wears their companies' uniform loud and proud. From experiencing the puberty stage to experiencing the quarter life crisis. 

I'd get emotional with all these changes but I'm still glad that these people are still there for me. One phone call away and I know I'll get answers from them. Aside from that, I came to a point where I distanced myself from some of my friends (due to awkward situations) but now we are back on track and I am so happy and it is so good to just laugh at those situations. I love my highschool friends. The people whom I'll always cherish and will forever occupy the greatest part of my life (aside from family of course).

Cue song: Vitamin C's Graduation (Friends Forever)

I took up Nursing when I was in college. I shared school with some of my HS friends so we get to see each other a lot. But that didn't hinder me to meeting new friends. I made friends with a lot of people back then but I had two group of friends (some weren't in the group but I'm close to them).  

My college friends were different because I've known them when I am ALMOST mature and compare to my 10-11 years of friendship with HS friends; I've friends with my college peeps for 5-6 years and counting. These people were a whole lot of different personalities: some into partying, some love to take life seriously, some aced their exams without dreading much about it, some stutter during recitation, some were from provinces, while some grew up here. 

These people taught me how to be more independent and that it's okay to break rules once in a while. They were the kind of friends that when I am mad with someone, they'll be mad with that people as well. They taught me how to organize surprise party for someone. They understand and listen to my crazy antics. They taught me to stand up for something I believe to be right and that sometimes I can lead a pack. They encouraged me to get out of my comfort zone. Being friends with them made me realized that life will give you different set of people but you'll be good friends because of those common interests you share with.

We didn't get to bond a lot these days because of their busy schedules. But that doesn't mean our relationship will get lost because I believe we've developed a strong foundation of our friendship and it'll be forever be there. Though I miss them and I'd be happy to see them again.

Cue song: Taylor Hicks' Do I Make You Proud 
(which is also our batch song)
Made by one of my classmate, Lyzette, for our class page.

What I learned most is that studying is a whole lot cooler when you have crazy people alongside.
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking time reading my post! I hope I triggered your interest. I would love to hear your comments. Much appreciated :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...